Saturday, November 2, 2013

How to Make Sugar Free Crock Pot Persimmon Applesauce



The other day, I got a call from some friendly acquaintances, asking me if I wanted some persimmon. They have a rental property in CA that has two different kinds of persimmon trees. At the time I had never heard of persimmon, but what the heck, it is fruit and it’s free. Awesome!!

On my way over to pick up the fruit, I got the idea to invite them to church. My church is finally, after several months of work, moving from a school to a dedicated building and I thought it the perfect occasion to ask them to join me.

            So, for me, to actually do this is a really big deal. Don’t ask me why, but the idea of asking people I don’t know very well to church terrifies me. Honestly, I really don’t even like to talk to too many people I don’t already know. I only know three people in the Reno area, outside of the people I know from church or BSF (Bible Study Fellowship), and this couple qualified as two of them. I suppose I am afraid of offending someone or overstepping. As I tell you this, I want to clarify, this is NOT OK. It is not OK to be more concerned with offending other people than offending God. Your relationship with your Heavenly Father is the most important relationship you will ever have, don’t take it for granted!! However, the only way to overcome a fear like this is to ask for His help and guidance.

            Well, with a strong conviction, I invited them to church. I originally asked the husband, as he was the one I was talking to at the time. He declined politely, then his wife spoke up and told me she wanted go. She told me she had been thinking of going back to church all of last week. Excited to see that it really was the Holy Spirit telling me to invite them, I offered to pick her up and take her this Sunday.

            Tomorrow is Sunday. I called her today to confirm and she sounded excited to go!! I don’t know what will happen tomorrow. I don’t know if she will ever come back after tomorrow. But I feel completely blessed and excited that God helped me get past my fear and I get to be apart of my friend’s journey. The idea that God could use me to fulfill any part of his purpose in this woman’s life is simply incredible!! So, when you feel called to spread the word of the Gospel, or invite someone to lunch or breakfast, in conjunction with going to church, know that the blessing you receive for doing his will is completely worth the possibility of an uncomfortable decline.

            While that was the excitement of the day in my world, I still had a lot of free fruit to use. After a bit of research, I have come up with a few uses for this fruit, persimmon.

            First of all, there are two types of persimmon trees, Hachiya and Fuyu. My friends gave me some of both. The Hachiya Persimmon fruit has a lot of tannins and needs to ripen fully before using. If they are not fully ripe, they have an astringent/bitter taste. So my Hachiya Persimmon fruit are in a box on my front porch as they finish ripening.

            The Fuyu Persimmon I was given is fully ripe, ready to use and really sweet. Almost a little too sweet for me, however, my two year old loved it!!

            I played around with it a little and came up with a really good applesauce recipe, using the Fuyu Persimmon. I used 6 (very small) organic apples and 3 persimmons. It is completely toddler and husband approved, and it is sugar free!!

 

  • 6 apples
  • 3 persimmons
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • ¾ cup of water

 

    1. Peel and chop all apples and persimmons.
    2. Add to crock Pot with cinnamon stick and water
    3. Cook in crock pot on high for 5 hours.
    4. Remove the cinnamon stick, strain, blend and put in storage containers.

Easy Peasy!!

Check out the really cool reusable fruit pouches I use for my little one!! This saves me so much money on our grocery bill. Refilling these things is much less expensive than buying the organic applesauce pouches from the store!!! Here is the Amazon link:

 

 

Has God been calling you to do something you are afraid of doing? Do you care more about the opinion of your friends than of God’s? Will you “put yourself out there” to be apart of God’s plan?

 

May Your Joy Be Full,

Rachel

 

1 Thessalonians 2:4 (ESV)

4 t just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.

 

If you’ve enjoyed my post today, follow me on Facebook: Mommy Who Loves God

No comments:

Post a Comment