Thursday, August 1, 2013

14 Years and Finally Going Strong


Almost fifteen years ago I met a boy. I knew right away that this boy was different than the other boys. He dressed a little different, and didn’t really care what anyone thought of him. The chains on his wallet weighed more than a small child. He also had more tattoos than anyone I had ever met in person.

This boy seemed hard and distant to those who didn’t know him, but warmed up quickly after spending a little time with him. The first time we hung out, he told me repeatedly how much Jesus loves us. As we sat in his barracks room, drinking Miller Highlife and wine coolers, he introduced me to MXPX and the Dropkick Murphy’s. I remember thinking to myself, “maybe I should listen to my Mom for once and date a Christian.” I was a Christian, but my relationship with God was at best strained. I didn’t like people to tell me what to do, and that included God.

Fourteen years ago, today, August 2, I married that boy. I would love to say that we loved each other well for the last fourteen years, but that would be untruthful. We did love each other, probably the best we could at that time, but it wasn’t a lasting love. We both needed to learn to love better. Many years and many mistakes went by, while neither of us kept a real relationship with God. It seems year after year, we got further and further from him, making us drift further and further from each other. If we hadn’t been so complacent and lazy, we would have probably divorced somewhere around year seven.

We tried going to church several times in our early marriage, but got discouraged because we felt people judged us because of our tattoos or the way we dressed. Somewhere around our tenth year of marriage, my coworker and friend made me listen to his pastor on our lunch break. It was a sermon about humor in a series called Religion Saves and Nine other Misconceptions. The sermon was really funny and interesting. That night, I played it back to my husband. He was impressed and started listening to this Pastor’s sermons online. A few months later, we made the trip into Seattle to see this church for ourselves. The next week, we went to our most local service and kept going for several years until we moved out of state. This was not a church that judged people, it was a church that loved and taught people.

For the next year, God used this Preacher and Church to break us. Week after week it felt as though every sermon was specifically for us in our own way. By the end of our first year, we both had repented a lot to God and each other. We had not loved each other well. The problems in our marriage wasn’t his fault or my fault, they were our fault.

It took a lot of repentance and forgiveness, but God healed our marriage. I love my husband more now than I ever thought possible. God changed us, and is still changing us. He is teaching us to love like he does. Until we learned his love, we couldn’t love. I put my husband on a pedestal. Most people would say that is very loving, but they would be wrong. It is not love to hold someone to a standard that they cannot possibly live up to. To love him well means to love him with his imperfections and accept that he will disappoint me sometimes. Then I have to be ready to forgive him. To love him well means to realize I am not always right and may need to apologize sometimes. To love my husband well means to respect him. He is the head of our household. God put him in that position and who am I to argue with God? Does it mean I am his servant? Absolutely not!! But I am his helper, and I’m really good at helping. I also get real joy from taking care of my family.

Is my husband perfect? Nope! But he’s perfect for me!!

My husband is a strong and loving leader. He loves God and loves his family. He is generous and a really hard worker. He supports his family with everything he has. He is a wonderful father and a hero to our little boy. I could not imagine spending any part of my life without him. Outside of my salvation through Jesus Christ, my husband is my greatest blessing!! I thank God for giving me my husband and for making my marriage what it is today. I thank my husband for trying to love us like Jesus loves the church. I thank him for leading and supporting our family well. I thank him for loving us well. I can say with a confident heart, though not always perfect, my marriage has exceeded any expectation I may have ever had!!!

May Your Joy Be Full,

Rachel

18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

Colossians 3:18,19

 

 You can follow me on Facebook at Mommy Who Loves God

 

No comments:

Post a Comment