Friday, August 16, 2013

Banana Berry Trifle : Guilt Free, Gluten/Grain Free, Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free


 
“All my life I live to follow

You alone as you change my desires

Liberated by the blood of Jesus

I’ve found life in the sweetness of freedom”

 

Tonight, as I stood in my kitchen, slicing strawberries for a yummy fruity dessert, I listened to this Citizen’s song, Sweetness Of Freedom. It made me think about how sweet our freedom in Christ really is.

 

I am so far from perfect. I sin every day. I sin thousands of times a day. It may be in an act, it may be in a thought or even in the absence of some sort of action. I usually don’t even realize when I’m doing it. Sometimes, I don’t even realize when I’ve already done it.

 

Sin can be tricky. What exactly is sin? When you Google sin, this is what you get: An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law. What constitutes an immoral act? What exactly is divine law? Divine Law is defined as a law that is believed to come directly from God. So I’m thinking 10 commandments. The 10 Commandments are laws that come directly from God. If we can follow all of the 10 commandments we can be free from sin? Don’t steal, don’t lie and don’t cheat on your spouse. That shouldn’t be too hard, at least you wouldn't think so.

 

So, with an easy set of rules, how do I find myself sinning all the time? There are too many answers to that question to put into one blog post. I can start with the first commandment and I’m already done before breakfast. “You shall have no other God’s before me.” Every morning, when I step on the scale, and I let it define the start of my day, I make my body image a god. I make that number a god. If I’m up a pound, I messed up and it’s going to be a bad day, if I’m down a pound, I feel proud and good all morning. The correct way to start my day would be to ditch the scale and start with a prayer, asking God to define my day; asking God to give me a great day. But generally, I turn to the scale to give me a good day. How do you know if you are making something a God? What pulls your focus from God? What do you esteem higher than God? It could be your job or your spouse; it could even be your kids. These are all good and important things. If you make God your God, he will help you to love and serve all of these better than you could without him.

 

That is one example of one of my common sins. It’s not something I purposely do; it’s just the direction my heart tends to follow. My heart is selfish and I will always, without the help of God, work to glorify myself.

 

You may be wondering how I can find my sin sweet. My sin is not sweet. My sin is pretty awful. Where I find the sweetness is in Jesus. Jesus took my heart and changed it. He took my desires and gave me his desires. I don’t have to feel defeated because of my sin because Jesus defeated my sin. He paid for all of the sins I have ever committed. He paid for all of the sins I have yet to commit. What do I have to give for this sweet freedom? Nothing!! All I have to do is believe and trust him. He does all of the work. I don’t try not to sin because I am afraid of going to Hell or that I fear I will make God mad at me. I try not to sin because Jesus changed my heart and made me not want to sin. I try to not sin because I love Jesus and want to do things that make him happy. I’m kind of like my two year old that way. When he does something we like, he tries to do it over and over because he likes making us happy with him; because he loves us. That's pretty sweet!! What is sweeter is that we love him whether he does things to please us or not. Our love is unconditional, as God’s love for us is unconditional. We are his adopted children and he loves us, even though we sin thousands of times a day!!

 

Speaking of sweetness, here is the recipe for the so very yummy and sweet Banana Berry Trifle I was working on when listening to this song. It is gluten/grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free!! And completely Guilt Free!!

 

Banana Berry Trifle

Here’s what you need:

·         1 or 2 Cans of Full Fat Coconut Milk (refrigerated overnight)

·         2 Lbs. of Strawberries (give or take, it depends on how many layers and how thick you layer them)

·         5 Bananas (give or take a banana, I had extra and froze them for future banana/peanut butter ice cream)

·         About ¼ cup of Real Maple Syrup (check the label for any other ingredients, there shouldn’t be any)

·         About 2 tsp. of Cinnamon (to taste)

·         About 1 tsp. of Nutmeg(to taste)

·         Extra Berries for Topping (I had blueberries and raspberries)

·         Glass bowl or Large Glass Measuring Bowl or a Trifle Bowl (something glass and deep)

 

 

 

1.      Core and slice the strawberries. I use an egg slicer to do the slicing. This makes the strawberries a uniform size and takes a tenth of the time. Set the bowl of strawberries aside.


2.      Peel and slice the bananas, set aside.


3.      Remove thick fatty portion of Coconut milk. I strain mine. Save and refrigerate the thin portion for something else. I have been using the leftover milk for a DIY all natural shampoo I’m working on. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

4.      Whip the coconut cream with a mixer until it starts to form peaks, like whipped cream. I use my stand mixer but I’m sure you can use a hand mixer.

5.      Add Maple Syrup, preferably while still mixing the cream. This could take a little more or a little less, depending on how sweet you want it. Keep in mind the strawberries and bananas are already pretty sweet, so a little does a lot.

6.      Add cinnamon and nutmeg while still mixing. As with the syrup, I do this to taste, too, measurments aren't exact.

7.      Mix until you get medium peaks. I have never got this cream to make stiff peaks, but it will make medium peaks. It’s done if it stands up when you lift the mixer out of the cream.

8.      Put Cream in the freezer and continue to do this between layers. (You may not need to do this if your house is pretty cool, it was upwards of 90 degrees here)

I filled in bananas after the picture!!
9.      Layer the bottom of the glass bowl with strawberries. I try to make my strawberry layer somewhat thick so you can see the layers through the cream. Start with strawberries, not bananas, because the bananas change color after being out of the peel too long.

10.  Layer the bananas then cover with cream.

11.  Repeat the layering process until you are out of strawberries, bananas or cream, or until you run out of room in your bowl.

12.  Top with whatever berries you have on hand. Do not top with bananas. I also usually make the top cream layer a little thicker than the other layers.

Put in the freezer until ready to serve.

These measurements are what I used to make this in my trifle bowl, which is a fairly large size. If making for yourself or your family only, you can make this much smaller with only half of the ingredients.

 

Leftovers are wonderful for breakfast!!!

 

I hope you enjoy the sweetness of this dessert and the sweetness of Christ!!

May Your Joy Be Full,

Rachel

 

 

                                        





                 

Sweetness of Freedom

By the Citizens

Verse 1

Within my heart’s a rebellious side

Conflicting with the Spirit’s desire

To keep my heart in step with you

So I do not do what I want to do

Verse 2

Only you have the power to break

Every chain I placed around my neck

I heard your call from the pit of death

To surrender all and nothing less

Verse 3

Through the Spirit I have righteousness

Sweet victory over the flesh

I can walk with confidence in you

As you gratify my soul with truth

Chorus

All my life I live to follow

You alone as you change my desires

Liberated by the blood of Jesus

I’ve found life in the sweetness of freedom
 
If you enjoyed my post you can follow me on Facebook at Mommy Who Loves God!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment