Friday, July 12, 2013

Why I Decided to Start a Blog!!


 
 
Today, as I go through my family’s belongings for a garage sale, I find myself thinking about how God calls us do wonderful things to Glorify Him. Tomorrow, my Community Group (this is a small group we meet with mid-week, outside of church) is have a ginormous garage sale to raise money for our new church building. Many of the families in our group, including mine, are single income families. Our budget doesn’t really allow for us to support this cause to the extent we want to.

Lucky for us, one of the couples in our Community Group answered a call from God. In Acts 2:45 it says that the early church sold their belongings and distributed the proceeds among them, to those who had need. This couple decided to hold a garage sale and encourage contributions from anyone wanting to support our new church. Already, I have seen evidence that this is a call from God. People they have never met opened their hearts and garages to offer donations to sell.

I am excited to see the evidence of God’s grace through this garage sale. Many times, when we follow God’s call to action, he does so much more than the intended purpose. Last year, I answered a call from God to have a garage sale.  A couple in my church was pregnant, unemployed and struggling to make ends meet. It was a very difficult time for them. I coordinated a Community Group garage sale to try and help them with at least a little of their financial burden. The week of the garage sale God answered our prayers for him to find a job. Our garage sale earned enough money to pay off a very large bill they had been stressing over. If fact, it was within $10 of the total bill amount.

At the garage sale, God used us in other ways. A woman came to our sale looking for a car seat for her granddaughter. She had to have a car seat and a bed by the next day to pass an inspection to keep her granddaughter out of foster care. Luckily we had a car seat. I also had an extra bed at home in the garage I had not intended to sell. I gave the woman my address and gave her the bed. That woman was blessed that day. God answered her prayers and used us to do it.

This is the reason I am writing this blog. I feel this is a call to action from God. There are many reasons to not write this blog. Is it needed? Is it necessary? Is it worth the amount of time and effort? Do people even read it? Am I really helping anyone?

The answer to most these questions is a definite yes. It is needed and necessary? Yes, if for no one else, I need it. I finally have a scheduled time almost every day for God. I have struggled with that for some time. Is it worth the time and effort? Yes, God is definitely worth the time and effort!! Do people read it? I don’t know for sure. You tell me. Am I really helping anyone? Absolutely!! I am helping me and my relationship with God.  I am depending on him to help me know what to write about. I have to ask him daily how he wants me to put my posts together and how can I glorify him through them.  I haven’t had to do this much biblical studying ever!! I want to be sure that I put out correct and biblical information. In order to do that, I have to research the ideas I want to write about.

 In Luke 18:22 a rich ruler asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life. After he established he had not broken the commandments, Jesus told him to sell everything he had and distribute to the poor, then follow him. The next verse tells us that this made the rich leader sad. He didn’t want to give up his wealth. His wealth was more important than following Jesus; more important than eternal life. In this he had broken the first commandment. The first commandment, “You shall have no other God’s before me,” is broken by most of us every day. Some of us value our money over God, some of us our time. Sometimes it’s Facebook or a video game. What is keeping you from answering God’s call? What do you value more than what God has for you? Is God calling you to something that might take away from one of your idols? Even as I type this I’m looking at the clock and wondering how I’m going to have enough time to do everything I want to do today. I know how, I’m going to give it to God.

I don’t know how God is going to use our garage sale this weekend, outside of raising money for the church, but I look forward to finding out.  Have a great weekend!!!

May Your Joy Be Full,

Rachel

 

And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.

Acts 2:45 (ESV)

 

22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “one thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow me.” 23But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.

Luke 18:22,23 (ESV)

 

If you enjoyed my post today, please follow me on Facebook Mommy Who Loves God

 

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog. Have gotten a lot if info from it in all aspects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Maygann, I appreciate the support. I'm so new at this and still a little insecure. I'm just trying to write what I feel God wants me to write :-)

      Delete