Thursday, July 4, 2013

Remember our Veterans and Those still serving Today!!






Happy Fourth of July!!
What are your plans for this holiday weekend? We are pretty busy this holiday. Yesterday we kicked off the long weekend with a baseball game and some fireworks. Today, we are going to a BBQ with close friends, this morning I will be making more cheese for some caprice to take with us. Tomorrow we’re going to spend the day at the lake to visit friends.  I am so excited about this fun filled time with my husband. My son and I miss him during the week and cherish long weekends like this.

Last night after the baseball game, the ballpark let off a big fireworks display. It was a good show, complete with almost all the “I Love America” songs and ending with John Phillips Sousa. The best part of the display for my husband and I was watching the reaction of our two year old son. He Loved It!! He stood on his Daddy’s lap yelling and clapping!!

As a child, Fourth of July was my favorite holiday. It warms my heart to watch my very happy little boy as we celebrate our country’s freedom.  I have always loved fun, family packed celebrations ending in fireworks.

As we celebrate today, let’s remember the families who don’t get to spend this holiday weekend together. Let’s pray for the mommies and daddies who won’t get the chance to watch their children enjoy the fireworks.

I spent several years in the Army after High School. Going into the military was one of the best choices I ever made. I originally went in to pay for college, but little did I know that it would shape my life in other ways.

The Army taught me to fix radios. That was my job.  I ended up being very good at it and I loved it. I ended up working in the electronics/electrical field for the next 15 years.

I also met my husband in the Army. He lived two doors down from me in the barracks. We dated briefly and got married while still serving.

So many good things came from my years in the Army, I had a trade that I loved, a Husband that I love and adore and I have kept in touch with some wonderful friends.

Two weeks ago my nephew went back to live with his Mom, after living with us for the first half of the year. She is in the Navy and had training she had to go to. This is the second time he has come to live with us. The first time was longer, while she was in Afghanistan. Because of some fertility problems, I did not have children while in the Army, and for that I am almost grateful. 
It was a treat for us, as we love him and he is a wonderful kid, but it was so hard for her. To have to leave your child for an extended amount of time is one of the worst things a parent can go through, outside of illness or death.

So you celebrate Independence Day, please keep those who fight for our independence in your prayers. Not only are their lives on the line, in many cases, so are their hearts.

I will not be posting tomorrow because I will hopefully be out of range from electronic communication. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your families!!

May Your Joy Be Full,  
Rachel
 
 
 
 

“A time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace”.

Ecclesiastes 3:8
 
Did you enjoy my post today? Follow me on facebook:Mommy Who Loves God

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment