Monday, July 1, 2013

Ways to Use and Repurpose a Gallon of Milk--Without Drinking It!! PART 1: Mozzarella And Ricotta Cheese


Well, it is finally summertime, and here in Northern Nevada we have the temperatures to prove it.

There are so many great and wonderful things that only summertime brings. We get to watch our kids splash in the pool or under a sprinkler to keep cool. Take trips to the lake or beach are always favorites. For me, even the scent of sunscreen changes my mood!! And I can't forget the sun tea, sometimes mixed with fresh lemonade.

One of the best reasons to celebrate summer is summer produce. Who doesn’t love fresh strawberries or peaches, maybe with some homemade ice-cream? I think my favorite this year is my basil plant. I have tried gardening flower beds in the past and have ended up with dried dirt and sticks. Who knew that gardens need water? Well, this year I tried again, but I have done something different. I get up and water my plants. And they are thriving. I also feed them once a week, but I’ll get into that later in the post.
 
My basil plant is growing so well I have more basil than I know what to do with. What do I do with all of this basil you may ask? I make caprice!!!  It’s summertime, so we have fresh basil and fresh tomatoes. All we need is fresh mozzarella cheese!!

 Today, I am going to make fresh mozzarella and fresh ricotta cheese. The reason I make ricotta cheese when I make mozzarella is because a byproduct of making mozzarella is a having lot of whey left over with cheese particles in it. I want all the cheese I can get from my gallon of milk. And besides, it gives me a great reason to make my husband’s favorite dish, lasagna (which I will tell you how to make in part 2)!!

So here we go!!

How to Make Mozzarella Cheese

The first thing I want to establish, I got my directions from instructables.com. I have looked all over the internet and tried many different instructions for making mozzarella cheese and this is the only one I could get to work. http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Mozzarella-Cheese/?ALLSTEPS, http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Ricotta-Cheese-From-Whey/?ALLSTEPS

Equipment:
1. At least an 8 quart pot either enameled or stainless steel. Do not use aluminum.
2. Thermometer. I got this one at Ikea for under $10 and it works great!!
3. Two measuring cups
4. Large strainer
5. Long knife
6. Slotted spoon
7. Large glass bowl
8. Small glass bowl
9. Microwave
10. Cheese cloth or muslin fabric (optional)
11. Rubber gloves (optional)
12. Small strainer

Ingredients:
1. 1 Gallon of Milk. I use whole milk because it is less processed than 2% or skim milk, but you should be able to use them if you prefer. If you have access to raw milk, that is best!!  What you want to be careful about is ultra-pasteurized milk. Most organic milk is ultra-pasteurized so it will keep longer. This will not make good mozzarella cheese. I tell you more about this later in the post. Let your milk sit out for a while until it gets to about 50 degrees.
2. 1 Rennet tablet crushed.
3. 2 teaspoons of Citric Acid divided. 1 teaspoon is dissolved in water and the other one is sprinkled directly into the milk. I found both Rennet and citric acid at our local beer brewers supply store. The prices were good and the salesmen were friendly. You can also get it online pretty easily.
4. 1/2 cup water water divided in 2. Use distilled water or bottled drinking water. Be sure not to use tap or chlorinated water.
5.1 teaspoon salt.

Directions

1.    Pour 1 teaspoon of Citric Acid into ¼ cup of water and stir. Crush the Rennet tablet and pour it into the other ¼ cup of water.
2. If you haven't done so already, pour your milk into your pot.
3. If your milk is not 50 degrees, turn on low heat until it is. When it reaches 50 degrees (or warmer is ok) put in your citric acid/water mixture and stir for about 1 minute.                                                                  
4. Next, sprinkle your dry citric acid into the pot and stir for another minute.                                                 5. Heat your milk to 88-90 degrees. I usually let it get to 88 and remove it from the burner to avoid too much heat in case of inaccurate thermometer.                                                                                            6. Add rennet/water mixture and stir for 15-20 seconds.                                                                               7. Put the lid on the pot and wait for 15-30 minutes, or until you get a “clean break.” Mine usually takes about 25 or 30 minutes.
This is what it should look like after stirring in the rennet, before letting it sit.


This is what your clean break should look like. When you stick your finger in it, the curd and whey should separate and not stick to your finger. If it is still watery, let it sit a bit longer. If you cannot get a clean break, your milk may be ultra-pasteurized. Even if it doesn’t say ultra-pasteurized, the manufacturer may overheat it and not put it on the label. In my experience, Kirkland milk from Costco does not make good mozzarella. It will, however make good ricotta. For this batch, I used Wal-Mart’s Great Value brand. This is the best batch yet!!!
2.    1. Cut the Curds into 1/2 inch cubes from top to bottom. Then do the same thing at a 45 degree angle.                                                                                                                                                              2. Let curds sit for 5 or 10 minutes, undisturbed.                                                                   

3.    1. Heat on very low heat to 108 degrees stirring occasionally, just enough to keep the curds separated.                                                                                                                                                    2. When the temperature is 108 degrees, turn off the heat and continue stirring every few minutes for another 20 minutes while the curds continue to shrink.

4.    1. You can either dip the curds out with a small strainer or drain the curds into a strainer. Let them strain for about 15 or 20 minutes until all the whey is drained out. Be sure to save the whey, you will need it for the ricotta cheese. There are also a few other things you can do with the strained whey but I’ll get into that later in the post.                                                                                                                                                              2.  Place the curds in a small glass bowl.
5.      1. Heat the curd in the microwave for 30 seconds.                                                                                       2. Using a slotted spoon or your hand, gently squeeze the whey from the curd and pour off the whey.

6.      Microwave again tor 15 to 20 seconds and squeeze the whey again working into a ball. Around this time, I put on some rubber gloves because the curd gets a little hot. Pour off the whey.

7.      Microwave, squeeze and pour, over and over until there is almost no whey sitting in the bowl after coming out of the microwave. I had to do this several times.  Add 1 teaspoon of salt. At this point it should start to get stretchy. Grab about 1/3 to ½ and lift. It should start to stretch under its own weight. If not, microwave for a few more seconds. Stretch and knead like dough. Knead it like bread into a ball, and microwaving when necessary, until smooth and shiny. It should look like the last picture when finished.


8.      You can then freeze it for an hour and shred for lasagna (recipe will be in part 2 of this post) or you can slice it up for some caprice!!!!
 

Now for the Ricotta!!

This one is pretty easy and quick.
1.     1. Boil the leftover whey, in the same pot, until it reaches 200 degrees. The temperature doesn’t really matter; just don’t let it boil over. You don’t want to clean up that mess.                                                                                                                                                                                   2. Stir and let cool. This doesn’t really have to be an exact temperature either; you just want it to be manageable. You don’t want to accidently spill boiling hot whey on yourself. It hurts.

2.     1. Line a very, very large strainer with a cheese cloth or muslin. I use muslin because it is reusable and strains better. I wash it with my kitchen towels then sterilize in boiling water.                                                                                                          2. Pour the whey and let drain, I usually let if drain for a couple hours, I don’t like mushy ricotta. Then package it up and refrigerate. I have a really good ricotta, basil and pea dip recipe if anyone is interested. This will also be going into the lasagna.

 

 
 Now, what to do with the Whey!!!

 

There are a few things you can do with it.

I water it down (a lot) and feed my plants with it every Monday. They are thriving (considering they are my plants and I have a reputation as a plant murder!!).

I also have a recipe, which I will be sharing with you in Part 2 of this post, for Old-Fashioned Lemon Whey Pie. I am gluten intolerant so this will be a gluten free version.

There are other uses also.  You can put it in smoothies or put in soups. Or you can just throw it out. I just like to get everything I can from my gallon of milk.

As for the carton, I like to use it to store my strained whey and I repurpose it as a water container. It only costs about 30 cents to fill up a gallon jug at the grocery store and costs anywhere from 79 cents to over a dollar to buy a full jug.

 

And that’s how you make Mozzarella and Ricotta Cheese using every last penny you spent on your gallon of milk. I apologize this is so long, I guess I should have split this into an additional part. Thank you for reading my blog, I hope you enjoyed it. Hopefully soon you will enjoy some freshly made mozzarella!! Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3, where I will be providing recipes using your cheeses and whey and showing you how to make Greek yogurt in a crock pot. Slice up some cheese and tomatoes, add some basil, salt and oil for some caprice and invite someone over to enjoy a summer snack!!

May Your Joy Be Full,

Rachel 




“Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.”

Romans 12:13 (ESV)

“Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.”

1 Peter 4:9 (ESV)

 

As always, questions and comments are encouraged!!

Follow me on Facebook: Mommy Who Loves God

No comments:

Post a Comment